Pros And Cons Of Buckwheat And Swedish Pillows Compared
Buckwheat pillows may seem old-fashioned compared to Swedish foam pillows but they certainly have some notable benefits of their own as well as drawbacks. Here's a head-to-head comparison of pros and cons for both pillow types.
You can use our pillow comparison tool to compare 5 types of pillows side-by-side.
Advantages of Swedish Pillow Technology
- It relieves pain and improves deep sleep by reducing pressure points, increasing comfort level and reducing tossing and turning.
- It conforms to your body, increasing the contact surface, improving circulation and allowing blood to flow more freely.
- It has the ability to sense your body temperature and change firmness accordingly.
- You don't sink right through a high density memory foam pillow.
- The foam dampens shock and absorbs motion.
- Life span of 2-5 years, depending on manufacturer.
Advantages of Buckwheat Hull Pillows
- It conforms to your head, neck and spine, providing comfortable support for all these areas.
- The buckwheat hulls allow air to circulate throughout the pillow, so your head will not become hotter during sleep.
- The firmness and thickness of the pillow can be adjusted by taking out or adding different quantities of hulls.
- Good air movement and moisture absorption, resulting in that 'cool in the summer, warm in the winter' feeling.
- Life span of around 10 years, because hulls don't break.
Drawbacks of Swedish Foam Pillows
- High quality memory foam pilows are quite expensive.
- Can get too warm during sleep.
- Because of the melting weightlessness feeling it induces, it requires an adjustment period.
- The pillow may have a strong odor when new.
Drawbacks of Buckwheat Husk Pillows
- It is flammable, since all materials that go in its making are natural and not treated
- The pillow may have a strange smell when new.
- If the cover is punctured or worn out, you will have a 'hull mess' on your hands.
- Every time you turn on the pillow or move it around, the hulls make a crunch-like noise that may need some time getting used to.
- The pillow is quite heavy (a high quality regular size pillow may weigh up to 9 lb).
I have been a fibromyalgia sufferer for years. One of the best things that I have found to help me sleep better is the Bucky Pillow. While it may not look like a normal pillow (because it isn't) it is the only pillow I've ever had that helps me sleep on those nights I actually can sleep. It doesn't make sleep come on our bad nights, but it greatly enhances sleep on those nights that we do actually get some restful sleep.
When I get a migraine, I also have intense neck pain. I lay on this pillow with a cloth over my eyes. The pillow provides immediate relief for my neck, which, in turn, helps my head. The pillow also causes no problem with my dust/mildew allergies.
The other big issue: it's almost impossible to sit upright on the bed for any length of time. I do a lot of work sitting cross-legged on my bed, because that happens to be how & where I am most comfortable, and with the Tempurpedic I just kept sliding down, down, down. Like I imagine being in quicksand would be.
If you are a light sleeper who moves a lot, like I am, you do a good bit of readjusting the pillow at night.
MyFoamMattress.net is an independent buyers guide and is not affiliated with any mattress manufacturer or retailer. Different mattress manufacturers and retailers may advertise on this website but we are not affiliated with them in any way, we do not act as agents on their behalf nor are we their employees.
All care has been taken to provide consumers with unbiased information on memory foam mattresses. This may include both the pros and cons of different products and of different brands. All our content is based on extensive research on existing consumer opinions found online on countless forums, discussion groups and review sites spanning back 6 years. Our findings are meant to act exclusively as a concise summary of all these consumer opinions we have read.
Top Memory Foam Complaint
The most commonly reported problem consumers have with memory foam Swedish mattresses is that they sleep hotter when compared to conventional sleeping surfaces.
But sleeping conditions are influenced by environment temperature, the material's heat sensitivity and your own body heat.
How can you check if your purchase as good as a genuine Tempur-Pedic mattress? You can try the wine glass test, the egg test, or the fridge test.
What is the secret behind Tempur mattress technology and why is it in the top 5 most popular brands alongside the likes of Sensus, Isotonic, Bergad and Sealy? The answer is that it uses good quality, high density, heat responsive foam.