Pros And Cons Of Egg-Crate And Visco Toppers Compared
Visco memory foam toppers are certainly the darling of the bed industry while egg-crate pads are seen by many as basic and cheap. But are those opinions justified? A visco foam topper vs egg-crate pad comparison reveals both pros and cons. Let's look at the most important ones.
You can use our topper comparison tool to compare 5 types of mattress toppers side-by-side.
Advantages of Visco Foam Topper Technology
- Relieves pressure and enhances deep sleep by reducing pressure points, increasing comfort level and reducing night time movement.
- Conforms precisely to your body, distributes weight, improves circulation and allows your blood to flow more freely.
- Has the ability to react to body temperature and soften accordingly.
- You don't sink right through a high density visco elastic foam topper nor do you risk bottoming out.
- The visco foam dampens shock and absorbs motion.
- Lifespan of 2-5 years, depending on the manufacturer.
Advantages of Egg-Crate Foam Pads
- Very good price and availability (almost all drug stores and furniture stores have it).
- Convoluted surface allows better weight distribution and air circulation, so you don't get too hot during sleep.
- Better sleep experience due to spinal alignment and pressure relief.
- Very light and easy to set up, transport and move.
Drawbacks of Visco Foam Pads
- High quality visco foam mattress toppers like Tempurpedic's overlays are quite expensive.
- Can get uncomfortably warm during sleep.
- Because of the melting weightlessness feeling it induces, memory foam requires an adjustment period.
- May have a strong odor when new.
Drawbacks of Egg-Crate Toppers
- Short life span (the convolutions lose their body in less then one year and become too soft, even if they look fine for a lot longer).
- Very difficult to clean because of the irregular surface.
- May cause allergies and toxic reactions if not made of medical-grade urethane.
- They offer no support by themselves (since they are so soft and light) and need a firm mattress underneath to be truly supportive.
The surface of it is rather hard, almost slab-like; while everything advertised about the way it conforms to your exact body is true, it just didn't have that "ahhh, there's my sweet comfy bed" feeling. Believe me, we tried hard to work up a little love for the poor thing, but we just weren't feeling it.
My wife now sleeps through the entire night. It did not heal her back, it just provides great support to assist her in obtaining a good night's sleep. The material forms/molds to the body like a parent holding an infant child.
I tried an egg crate mattress recently with my 9 mo. because she refluxes and has a hard time sleeping. I thought it might help her. It did!
The only advantage of an egg crate design is a weight savings -- a non-issue in beds.
MyFoamMattress.net is an independent buyers guide and is not affiliated with any mattress manufacturer or retailer. Different mattress manufacturers and retailers may advertise on this website but we are not affiliated with them in any way, we do not act as agents on their behalf nor are we their employees.
All care has been taken to provide consumers with unbiased information on memory foam mattresses. This may include both the pros and cons of different products and of different brands. All our content is based on extensive research on existing consumer opinions found online on countless forums, discussion groups and review sites spanning back 6 years. Our findings are meant to act exclusively as a concise summary of all these consumer opinions we have read.
Real NASA Link
Many manufacturers claim memory fom was first used by the NASA Space Program to boost sales for their memory bedding.
NASA never did use that basic material in the 1960s. NASA matress or space matress technology simply does not exist as such.
The truth is the Swedish Tempur-Pedic company did eventually come up with a reliable formula now used in the best-selling Tempurpedic mattresses.
While Tempur-Pedic Swedish mattresses are commonly known as Swedish mattreses, not all such products made in Sweden are made of slow rise foam.
How can you check if your purchase as good as a original Tempur-Pedic bed? You can try the wine glass test, the egg test, or the fridge test.
Top Memory Foam Complaint
The most commonly reported problem consumers have with memory foam beds is that they sleep hotter when compared to conventional sleeping surfaces.
But sleeping conditions are influenced by environment temperature, the material's heat sensitivity and your own body heat.